[Darshan-users] compiling statically with intel toolchain

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 20 07:33:49 CDT 2016

Hi Rene,

Does mpiifort support the "-show" option (or something similar) to
display the underlying link command that it is using?

I can describe the manual steps needed to add Darshan support just to
see if you can get it working, and then we can maybe circle back to why
the Darshan-generated script is triggering dynamic linking.  In general,
there are two sets of extra link flags that Darshan needs to add to the
link command.  Some should appear before the user-specified libraries in
the true link command, some should appear after them.  On my test box
they happen to look like this:

pcarns at carns-x1:~/working/install/bin$ darshan-config --pre-ld-flags
-L/home/pcarns/working/install/lib -ldarshan -lz
-Wl,@/home/pcarns/working/install/share/ld-opts/darshan-base-ld-opts

pcarns at carns-x1:~/working/install/bin$ darshan-config --post-ld-flags
-L/home/pcarns/working/install/lib -Wl,--start-group -ldarshan
-ldarshan-stubs -Wl,--end-group -lz -lrt -lpthread

On most MPI implementations there is also one more library that you have
to add for MPI function wrapping to work.  Darshan-config doesn't add
that because it is dependent on the MPI implementation. On most versions
of MPI this is either -lmpifort or -lfmpich.  I'm not sure which one
Intel MPI uses now.

You might be able to do all of that external to mpiifort, but I'm not
sure.  If so, then your link command would look something like this
(possibly swapping out -lmpifort for -lfmpich or omitting it entirely):

mpiifort -DLinux -Dx86_64 -DINTEL -DCompLevel16 -DX86_64 -D__x86_64__ -static-intel -static_mpi -DOpenMP -openmp -DSWAP -O3 -g -o ./ddswriter.revUnversioned -lmpifort `darshan-config --pre-ld-flags` PartitionLayout_mod.o ddswriter.o -L/tstapps/asi/src/dds/lib/Linux/3.0/x86_64/Intel-16.0.1.150MPI5.1.2MKL11.3.1 -ldds_r3 -lgio -lfhost `darshan-config --post-ld-flags`

If that doesn't work then you'll need to find out what the underlying
link command looks like (via -show or similar) and insert it there.

thanks,
-Phil