[Darshan-users] Q about darshan-analyzer and ranks

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 8 12:49:58 CDT 2016

Hi Caz,

Not silly at all, that is a little confusing :)

In 2.x versions of Darshan, 'multi' would indicate that a given Darshan
log contained file records that were not opened collectively (across all
ranks, denoted by rank == -1). 'single' would indicate that a log
contained file records that were opened collectively across all ranks. I
*think* the thought process for naming that way is that files which are
accessed by all ranks have a *single* record, whereas applications which
open independent files on each process have *multiple* file records.

At any rate, in newer versions of Darshan (>=3.0.0), the wording has
been changed to be more clear. We use 'shared' to denote applications
which used a single, shared file for I/O (i.e., single=>shared) and we
use 'fpp' (file-per-process) to indicate logs which have files that were
opened independently by a certain process (i.e., multi=>fpp).

Also, note that a given log file can be viewed as both single/shared and
multi/fpp by darshan-analyzer. Any log that has a shared file record in
it will be classified as single/shared and similarly any log with a file
that was accessed by either a single rank or a subset of ranks will be
classified as multi/fpp. The tool is just meant to give a general
overview of the type of access patterns a directory of logs used.

--Shane