[Darshan-users] Q about darshan-analyzer and ranks

Casmira, Jason P jason.p.casmira at intel.com
Fri Jul 8 11:47:55 CDT 2016

Hello.

Hopefully this isn't too silly of a question.

I see this code in darshan-analyzer.c:

        if (cp_file.rank == -1)
            *used_single = 1;
        else
            *used_multi = 1;

But from darshan_parser.c:

        printf("\n# description of columns:\n");
        printf("#   <rank>: MPI rank.  -1 indicates that the file is shared\n");
        printf("#      across all processes and statistics are aggregated.\n");

It's not clear to me how to interpret darshan_analyzer's use of the rank field.
Intuitively I'm thinking it would be the opposite (-1 == shared == multi), so I think
I'm missing something fundamental here, and I hope someone can clarify for me.
I tried searching on "rank" and "darshan-analyzer" but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

Caz.

Jason Casmira
Intel Corporation