[Darshan-users] Profiling arbitrary parts of an application with Darshan

Judit Planas judit.planas at epfl.ch
Mon Feb 1 02:58:57 CST 2016

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I already tried darshan-summary-per-file.sh, but it
didn't work for me: some of the charts and tables in the generated PDF
are blank or filled with 0's.

For example, 'I/O sizes' and 'I/O pattern' charts are completely blank.
And the 'Average I/O per process' and 'Data Transfer Per Filesystem'
tables are filled with either 0's or 'N/A'. However, I know the file was
created by my application and around 16 MB of data were written (that is
the size of the file at the end of the execution).

When running the darshan-summary-per-file.sh script, I get the following
messages for the file I'm interested in (I guess the PDF charts are
blank because of the warnings...):
Slowest unique file time: 0
Slowest shared file time: 65.503991
Total bytes read and written by app (may be incorrect): 0
Total absolute I/O time: 65.503991
Warning: empty y range [0:0], adjusting to [-1:1]
Warning: empty y range [0:0], adjusting to [-1:1]

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Judit

> On 01/28/2016 05:05 AM, Judit Planas wrote:
>>/  Hello,
/>>/
/>>/  I am using Darshan to profile my application and I wonder if it is
/>>/  possible to enable/disable Darshan profiling for arbitrary parts of the/
>>/  application.
/>>/
/>>/  The thing is that my application does a lot of I/O work, but I only want
/>>/  to profile a small part. If I profile the whole application, the reports
/>>/  have a lot of noise from the I/O part that I do not want to profile.
/>>/
/>>/  Darshan version is 2.3.1 (but I can update it to the latest one if
/>>/  needed) and I am running on a BG/Q system.
/>
> There are two things that might help you:
>
> - darshan-summary-per-file.sh might do the trick?  you can generate
> profiles on a per-file basis when you want to, for example, exclude
> reading in the input deck and focus only on output.  This approach works
> well if there are particular files you want to study, but not so well if
> there's a particular phase of I/O you are most concerned about:
>
> - I don't know if anyone has tried using MPI_PCONTROL with darshan.  I
> don't think Darshan knows what to do with that routine, anyway.
>
> ==rob
>

>>/
/>/> Thanks in advance,
/>/> Judit