[Darshan-users] Darshan I/O profiling of sequential code

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 14 09:57:03 CST 2016

Hi Wadud,

Right now, Darshan can only instrument MPI applications. It intercepts
MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize to initialize itself and to produce the output
log file, respectively. It also uses MPI communication and I/O
operations at shutdown time to aggregate data across all processes and
write to the log file. Breaking the MPI dependencies isn't exactly
straightforward, but we have at least been thinking about how to extend
Darshan to non-MPI codes. Recent changes to the architecture have been a
step in the right direction but there's still work to do to get us all
the way there.

We will continue to think about this and will certainly keep the mailing
list updated with any progress we make.

Thanks,
--Shane