[Darshan-users] Interpretting Darshan rport

Padua, Federico padua at uni-mainz.de
Wed Sep 9 16:48:03 CDT 2015

Hi Richard,
Hi Shane,

if I may add something just to give some credits, one of the original definitions and distinctions between consecutive and sequential access appears in the early paper in 1996 titled:
File-Access Characteristics of Parallel Scientific Workloads,
also known as Charisma project.
Probably some work before that had defined it but I don’t know it, that’s the “oldest” I’m aware of...

The definition is also mentioned here (same project, same authors):
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~dfk/papers/ap-workload-tr.pdf

From what it appears from the Darshan plots, they use this convention as Shean well explained.

Best,
-Federico