[Darshan-users] Interpretting Darshan rport

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 9 15:44:18 CDT 2015

Hi Richard,

Sequential describes I/O accesses that are just at any offset greater
than the immediately preceding I/O operation. For instance, say I write
100 bytes at offset 0, then my next access is a read at offset 500 --
that would be a sequential access.

Consecutive is more strict in that it requires that the current
operation be at the offset immediately following the end of the
preceding access's end. An example would be if I write 100 bytes at
offset 0, then read at offset 100, instead. So, all consecutive accesses
are also sequential but not vice versa.

Note that there is no distinction between the types of the 2 operations.
If the current operation is a write, we don't care if the previous
operation was a read or a write, just the ending offset of it.

I should probably mention that we have fixed this graph to be more clear
in the new development branch of darshan we are preparing to release, as
it has been a source of confusion for a number of people.

--Shane