[Darshan-users] Different builds for each MPI/compiler

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 9 08:51:41 CDT 2015

On 09/09/2015 06:55 AM, Chih-Song Kuo wrote:

> Hello Darshan user community,
>
> I just started using Darshan. Despite it runs pretty well, I wonder if
> I have to create different builds for each combination of MPI and
> compiler. I had this concern because you wrote some issues about
> libfmpich.so. I as a sales consultant of an HPC-system vendor run
> benchmarks with many combinations of MPI and compilers to advise our
> customer the best choice.
>
> Your insight will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Chih-Song

Hi Chih-Song,

I have two pieces of information that might be helpful:

a) The underlying compiler generally doesn't matter as much as the MPI
library itself.  We usually compile Darshan itself with GNU compilers
for maximum compatibility; the resulting Darshan library should be
compatible with most any compiler/linker.

b) As for the MPI library, the MPICH ABI compatibility initiative
(https://www.mpich.org/abi/) should help in theory by making sure that
quite a few of the MPI implementations have a compatible binary
interface.  Our team hasn't tested this capability first hand, so I
can't guarantee it will work, but I think the prospects are good.

thanks,
-Phil