[Darshan-users] No PDF file generation with darshan-summary-per-file.sh or darshan-job-summary.pl utility

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 8 08:52:24 CDT 2015

Hi Preeti,

Sorry you ran into trouble with this- I've put some suggestions inline
with your questions below.

On 09/06/2015 11:07 PM, Suman, Preeti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started working with Darshan 2.3.1 on my system.  I
> have installed all the prerequisites: Perl, pdflatex, epstopdf, and
> gnuplot to enable darshan-job-summary.pl utility. I have few questions
> specified below regarding the use of darshan-summary-per-file.sh and
> darshan-job-summary.pl.
>
> System specification:
>
> Kernel Version: Linux 4.0.5-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
>
> Operating System: CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz (Haswell-EP)
>
> Architecture:x86_64
>
> Compiler: GCC 5.1.0
>
> MPI: Intel MPI
>
> #### BEGIN : output of darshan-summary-per-file.sh
>
> $ darshan-summary-per-file.sh
> carns_mpi-io-test-ppc64-2.3.1_id426989_3-13-61875-4723177368895607730_1.darshan.gz
> ../output

> Slowest unique file time: 0
>
> Slowest shared file time: 0.190554
>
> Total bytes read and written by app (may be incorrect): 33554432
>
> Total absolute I/O time: 0.190554
>
> LaTeX generation (phase1) failed [256], aborting summary creation.
>
> error log:
>
> or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)
>
> Enter file name:
>
> ! Emergency stop.
>
> <read *>
>
> l.8 \usepackage
>
>                {multirow}^^M
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> Transcript written on summary.log.

> darshan-summary-per-file.sh done. Results can be found in
> /nfs/fx/proj/coralhpctools/users/psuman/myBuilds/Darshan/gcc/0904_logs/out1/*.pdf.
>
> #### END: darshan-summary-per-file.sh
>
> I am using the few benchmarks and darshan-test/example-output files to
> test the installation. There is no PDF file generation while running
> the darshan-summary-per-file.sh or darshan-job-summary.pl utility.
> Here are few questions:
>
> a) Is the error message of darshan-summary-per-file.sh utility
> mentioned above linked to Darshan or PDFLatex?

This is a pdflatex error.

> b) Is there any other dependency needed to enable
> darshan-summary-per-file.sh and other utilities?

Apparently so :)  We might be able to add safety checks to prevent this
in the future once we figure out what your problem is.

> c) If this is not a dependency error, What could be the reason for the
> error?

In my experience pdflatex errors are notoriously misleading, but it
looks like the problem might be a missing multirow.sty file.  Can you
check to see if this is present on your system?

On Ubuntu 15.04 it can be found in
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/multirow/multirow.sty and is a
part of the texlive-latex-extra package.

thanks,
-Phil