[Darshan-users] Darshan Fortran wrapper on Blue Gene Q

Kay Thust k.thust at fz-juelich.de
Wed Mar 18 05:44:05 CDT 2015

Kevin,

Thanks for the files. I didn't test C++ yet but the rest worked as you
described it. C works (still, since it already worked before) and so
does F77. With this hint users should be able to use Darshan with
Fortran, too. It's good to know that IBM already knows about the
Fortran90 MPI issue.

Thanks,

Kay

Am 12.03.2015 um 15:33 schrieb Harms, Kevin N.:
> Kay,
>
>   there are two issues here:
>
>   (1) The wrapper generators don't work for BG/Q. I'm attaching some
> modified ones for you. I believe that should allow all C, C++ and F77
> codes to work.
>
>   (2) There is an ongoing issue with IBM and the F90 MPI library. This
> library is bypassing MPI_Init and calling PMPI_Init directly. One work
> around is to link with the mpixlf77 wrapper. I have a PMR open on the
> issue but haven't received any updates yet.
>
> kevin
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> We installed Darshan in Juelich for our users to help them analyzing
>> their I/O patterns and identifying potential bottlenecks. Our Blue Gene
>> Q system (JUQUEEN) runs driver version V1R2M2. Everything works fine
>> with the C compiler wrapper but the ones for Fortran and C++ don't seem
>> to work. I tested both version 2.3.0 and 2.3.1-pre2.
>>
>> For the Fortran wrapper we have no libmpifort, libfmpich.cnk or
>> libfmpich on our system but only libmpichf90-xl (and versions for f77,
>> or gcc but non of the ). So I needed to change FMPICH in the wrapper. I
>> tried different variations (empty, -lmpichf90-xl, "-lmpichf90-xl
>> -lmpich-xl") but non of those made a simple Fortran test program use the
>> instrumented calls of Darshan. An "nm" on the binary shows the same
>> symbols with "darshan" in their names in both the C and the Fortran
>> version, so it seems to be used during linking.
>>
>> Darshan is a great tool we would also like to offer to users using
>> Fortran or C++ codes, too.
>>
>> Did anybody already successfully install Darshan on a platform with a
>> similar setup? Since linking succeeds and the applications run I have no
>> idea how to find the cause of this problem although the FMPICH variable
>> seems most promising. Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kay
>>
>> --