[Darshan-users] Darshan Fortran wrapper on Blue Gene Q

Kay Thust k.thust at fz-juelich.de
Thu Mar 12 07:32:45 CDT 2015

Hello,

We installed Darshan in Juelich for our users to help them analyzing
their I/O patterns and identifying potential bottlenecks. Our Blue Gene
Q system (JUQUEEN) runs driver version V1R2M2. Everything works fine
with the C compiler wrapper but the ones for Fortran and C++ don't seem
to work. I tested both version 2.3.0 and 2.3.1-pre2.

For the Fortran wrapper we have no libmpifort, libfmpich.cnk or
libfmpich on our system but only libmpichf90-xl (and versions for f77,
or gcc but non of the ). So I needed to change FMPICH in the wrapper. I
tried different variations (empty, -lmpichf90-xl, "-lmpichf90-xl
-lmpich-xl") but non of those made a simple Fortran test program use the
instrumented calls of Darshan. An "nm" on the binary shows the same
symbols with "darshan" in their names in both the C and the Fortran
version, so it seems to be used during linking.

Darshan is a great tool we would also like to offer to users using
Fortran or C++ codes, too.

Did anybody already successfully install Darshan on a platform with a
similar setup? Since linking succeeds and the applications run I have no
idea how to find the cause of this problem although the FMPICH variable
seems most promising. Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Kay

--