[Darshan-users] Inquiries regarding getting started with Darshan 2.3.0

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 20 11:17:37 CST 2015

On 01/19/2015 08:09 PM, Knapp, Rashawn L wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded recently Darshan version 2.3.0.  As part of a team within
> Intel Corporation, I am conducting a broad survey of high performance
> tools.  I have reviewed the documentation posted on the Darshan
> website, the source code, and the mail list archives, but I have a few
> remaining inquiries on which I hope you can assist me.  All of the
> following questions are from the perspective of my team bringing up
> Darshan on our newest and forthcoming high end server class machines
> and possibly becoming contributors to the source base:

Hi Reshawn,

Thank you for your interest, and let us know what we can do to help!
I'll try to answer your specific questions inline below:

> 1. In version 2.3.0, what is the most recent Intel architecture supported?

Any Intel compiler should work fine, but we do not often test with the
Intel MPI libraries.  As of 2012 there was a problem intercepting I/O
calls from Fortran program using the Intel MPI library (see
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/279445). I don't know if
this problem still persists or not, though.

Someone else on the mailing list might have experience with Darshan and
Intel MPI 5.x?

> 2. If my team would like to add support for new and upcoming
> platforms, what are your policies for submitting patches and updates?

Things are pretty simple: we are happy to accept patches under Darshan's
current license, and there is no contributor agreement. I'm not a lawyer
though, so if you have more specific follow-up questions it might be
best for me to look into it more formally off-list.

I should also note that we have a development branch to modularize
Darshan further (this will one day be a 3.x release).  That branch isn't
anywhere near mature yet, but it might be of interest for development at
some point in the future.

> 3. Is your software team mostly centralized or distributed?

ANL and NERSC are the primary organizations involved in the project, but
the day-to-day software development is mostly centralized at ANL.

> 4. Does this version support MPI 3?

Yes.  It has some configure-time checks to adjust the wrapper prototypes
depending on which API version is present.

thanks,
-Phil