[Darshan-users] Darshan pre-release 2.2.4-pre4

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 20 10:55:52 CST 2012

We've posted a pre-release snapshot for Darshan 2.2.4 on the ftp site:

ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/darshan/releases/darshan-2.2.4-pre4.tar.gz

The biggest change in this pre-release is that, by default, Darshan will
no longer issue a stat() call on each newly opened file.  We've found
that this can cause significant overhead on some systems when opening
shared files at large scale.  We'll be doing more follow up testing
before the final 2.2.4 release, but for now our suggestion is to only
use the --enable-stat-at-open option (to enable the old behavior) on
Blue Gene systems for now.

Changelog:

darshan-2.2.4-pre4
* Disable extra stat() of newly opened files by default in order
   to improve performance on shared files.  Reported by Yushu Yao.
   - prevents Darshan from reporting SIZE_AT_OPEN, FILE_ALIGNENT, and
     DARSHAN_FILE_NOT_ALIGNED values
   - features can still be enabled via --enable-stat-at-open option
* Fix missing -lz in post ld flags reported by Yushu Yao. Fixes a link-time
   error for some corner-case applications.

Thanks,
-Darshan development team