[Darshan-users] A bug report and a feature request

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 15 12:34:33 CDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 01:17 PM, Bill Barth wrote:
> The Bug Report:
>
> I think that the summary.pdf has swapped the summaries for read and write
> in the "Data Transfer Per Filesystem" table. I'm happy to share a logfile
> if you can't reproduce on your end.

That would be great if you could send us a log file example.  I just
tried a quick test on an old log file and it looked Ok in that
particular case.  It might depend on the contents of the log.

> The Feature Request:
>
> darshan-job-summary.pl should produce its output pdf file based on the
> name of the input logfile rather than calling it "summary.pdf".

We could probably add a command line option to produce that behavior.
In the mean time you can at least use the --output option to specify the
file name.

> Finally, if y'all have any analysis tools for sifting through lots of
> logfiles looking for things to care about, I'd love to try them.

We don't have any great portable tools for looking at logs in aggregate
yet.  There is one simple tool in test/darshan-gather-stats.pl (look at
the comments at the top of the file for documentation) that can chug
through a directory of darshan data and produce a text file with the
amount of data and estimated performance for each job.  You could run
that and then at least sort your jobs by performance or data usage or
some intersection of the two.

Kevin and others have been working on a web-based dashboard that produce
several different views of darshan data, but I think it is probably kind
of tied to our site-specific tools?

-Phil