[codes-ross-users] Workarounds to allow idle nodes in Torus Network?

Daniel Parker dkparker at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 6 15:31:21 CDT 2015

Hello,

My name is Daniel Parker, and I'm an undergrad in the BigDataX REU, in
which I am doing benchmarking on 3D torus networks using CODES/ROSS. I am
interested in studying latency and throughput over the network as the
number of nodes in communication increases, from just one pair of nodes to
a fully busy network. However, I noticed in the MN_TODO file
(/codes-net/src/models/networks/model-net) that idle nodes within the torus
network have not yet been implemented. Indeed, when I attempt to have less
repetitions of my servers than the total number of nodes in the network,
the simulation will not run (as expected).

I am wondering whether in the mean time there is any way that I can achieve
this sort of functionality. One idea that I had was to use annotations to
specify some nodes as having "dummy" kickoff handlers that do not give them
work. However, my concern is that use of annotations could introduce a
systematic nature to the "off" nodes, i.e. having them all have the same x
coordinate or be close together or something of that sort, whereas I would
want them to be randomly distributed across the network. This concern comes
from uncertainty as to how codes-net constructs the network in such
heterogeneous models.

So my question is whether there is a way to achieve these sorts of randomly
distributed idle nodes within a torus network, so as to model some-to-some
communication. Can annotations do what I want? Or is there some other
work-around as of now?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate the work that has gone into CODES and
ROSS, especially the well-commented example files and the GETTING_STARTED
files, which have proved very useful.

Best,

Daniel Parker
Computer Science