[cgma-dev] Continuing discussion of iGeom handling of RefVolume vs Body

Vander Zee, Evan B. vanderzee at anl.gov
Fri Jan 30 12:20:02 CST 2015

There are two additional things that we might want to consider in this discussion.

1)      When are bodies that CGM is passing through the iGeom interface allowed to be “sheet bodies?”  In other words, when should we be able to pass what are essentially 2-dimensional entities through the iGeom interface?

2)      The input path of iGeom is a consideration as well as the output side.  We can assume, I think, that the only entity handles a user passes into methods through the iGeom interface are entity handles that have been accessed through the iGeom interface.  If we want to allow operations that apply to multiple volumes, but we never pass back entity handles that refer to multiple-volume bodies, then we should make sure that the interface includes methods that support passing in a list of entities or an entity set.  For example, the interface already supports subtract with entity set arguments as well as with entity handles.

I think that with a little documentation, we could expect users to be responsible for cleaning up single-entity entity sets that are returned from operations that could in some cases return multiple volumes.  However, making it easier to use and not expecting a lot of the user is often the better path.

These are just a few comments from a guy who’s relatively new to CGM.  Please continue the discussion with comments from more experienced developers.

-Evan