[cgma-dev] Inconsistency in getEntities for iGeom interface. Causes problems in iRel.

Patrick Shriwise shriwise at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 13 13:23:29 CDT 2014

Hi all,

After a lot of investigation, I've discovered an inconsistency in the
iGeom function getEntities() (line 1149 iGeom_CGMA.cc). This problem can
actually be seen throughout the file iGeom_CGMA.cc file, but I'm using
getEntities as an example.

When entities are loaded from a standard geom EntSet (or a group),
CubitEntities are returned.

However, when querying from the root_set, RefEntities are returned.

In most cases this seems to be ok, except for the case of Volumes. When
volumes are queried at the with the root_set as the set_handle, the
RefEntitiy for the body that contains that volume is returned. However,
if a volume (not the body it belongs to) is added to an EntSet or Group,
the volume CubitEntity will be returned from iGeom's getEntities.

This causes problems in iRel when trying to populate groups in other
software (to be specific, Meshkit). When ModelEnts are created upon
associates a meshset with the bodies. Then upon populating groups that
contain volumes, iRel cannot find a relation between the geom Entity and
the mesh EntitySet for the volume.

So..... I'm not really clear as to whether or not this is a problem with
returning CubitEntities vs. RefEntities or if its a more conceptual
issue cause by the different EntityType definitions between CGM and
iGeom, shown below.

const char *iGeom_entity_type_names[] = {"vertex", "curve", "surface",
"body"};
const char *cgm_type_names[] = {"vertex", "curve", "surface", "volume",
"body"};

What's the best way to remedy this? Is there a way to get volumes within
bodies via iGeom?

--
Patrick C. Shriwise
Research Assistant