[cgma-dev] get_graphics for OpenCascade?

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 15 09:04:21 CDT 2013

On the function variant, I'll let Jane answer that.

As for watertight triangulations from the faceter, for single volumes, from ACIS, the faceting is generally watertight
(though the facets from separate surfaces don't share points).  But for multiple volumes sharing surfaces, the faceting
often won't be watertight.  There's a tool in MeshKit that does make facet models coming from CAD watertight, and has
shown good robustness even for huge models.  There's an incoming bug fix due to a regression awhile back that you'll
have to wait for, I'll check when that's coming (Andy, can you comment?).

- tim

On 08/15/2013 08:19 AM, David Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm curious if there's a reason why the variant of GeometryQueryEngine::get_graphics() that takes a BodySM* instead
> of a Surface*/Curve* is unimplemented in OpenCascade. I am hoping to get a conformal mesh out for a couple reasons:
> (1) I'd like to avoid the cracks that appear when individual faces are tessellated independently and (2) a
> triangle-based modeler I'm working with expects watertight triangulations to maintain its internal state
> consistently.
>
> Is there an underlying deficiency in OpenCascade that has to be addressed before it makes sense to implement the
> BodySM* variant, or has it just not been needed yet?
>
> Thanks, David

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706