[cgma-dev] Bug Report: getPtClass Function Call in PyTaps

Stuart Slattery sslattery at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:31:41 CST 2010

Hello

I am an undergraduate working at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and
have run into an issue implementing iGeom through the PyTaps interface.
I am using a five-volume cylindrical geometry (see attached cyltst.sat
file) that was constructed in CUBIT 10.2 with the volumes imprinted and
merged. Throughout the geometry, I am using getPtClass in PyTaps to
decide which geometry volume the point lies in.

The attached python script (demo.py) uses getPtClass at two points in
the geometry. Both are at the same x and z coordinates with the y
coordinate varied. Because the cylinders are aligned along the y-axis,
both of these points reside in the same volume. However, depending on a
given y-position with the same x and z coordinates, getPtClass will
return a surface entity handle or a volume entity handle when only a
volume entity handle should be returned.

I am curious to the cause of this y-position dependence on the results
returned by getPtClass when the geometry has no variation in the
y-direction. For your reference, I built CGMA against CUBIT 10.2.

Thanks

Stuart Slattery