[cgma-dev] r3517 - cgm/trunk/itaps

James Porter jvporter at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 1 16:08:25 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 15:46 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> It should consistently either always return RefVolume or always return Body.
> Mixing them breaks things because the iGeom API doesn't have that
> distinction (only one of them can be used for the iBase_REGION type.)  I
> started changing some of the RefVolume stuff to return Bodys instead, but
> perhaps the better solution would be to change all the functions (e.g.
> create*) to return RefVolumes instead?

It seems like more code assumes the existence of Bodies than RefVolumes,
so it might be easier to change RefVolumes -> Bodies. On the other hand,
RefVolumes seem to hold more geometric/topological information, so
they're probably closer conceptually to what ITAPS imagines an
iBase_REGION to be.

Would using RefVolumes exclusively be limiting in any way? My
understanding is that a Body is a collection of RefVolumes, but if
that's not helpful (or if in practice, our Bodies only have one
RefVolume), then I think it makes more sense to return RefVolumes
everywhere.

- Jim