[cgma-dev] build issues, libtool

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Sep 18 16:10:34 CDT 2009

Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> Jed Brown wrote:
>> The libtool issue also applies to MOAB, but 'ln -sf /usr/bin/libtool
>> libtool' in the build directory works for me.
>
> I still think this is a problem w/ your libtool installation or that you are
> mixing pieces from the system one (/usr/bin) and some other one.

There is only one libtool installation so there shouldn't be a conflict.
The libtool that autoconf puts in the build directory is broken, but the
system libtool works correctly.  Do you know the semantics of how the
libtool in the build directory is generated?

>> My last remaining problem is with MOAB, I now need to use a C++ linker
>> (mpicxx) when linking with libiMesh (despite calling from pure C where I
>> would like to link with mpicc) due to
>>
>> /home/jed/usr/lib/libiMesh.so: undefined reference to `ompi_mpi_cxx_op_intercept'
>> /home/jed/usr/lib/libiMesh.so: undefined reference to `MPI::Datatype::Free()'
>> /home/jed/usr/lib/libiMesh.so: undefined reference to `MPI::Comm::Comm()'
>> /home/jed/usr/lib/libiMesh.so: undefined reference to `MPI::Win::Free()'
>>

> I haven't figured out how to fix this yet.  mpic(c|xx) is hiding stuff that
> libtool needs to know (required libraries.)  The only two ways I can think
> of to fix this are to either a) find some way to avoid using the mpic(c|xx)
> wrappers entirely or b) avoid using the MPI C++ API.  However, I cannot
> figure out where we are using the MPI C++ API.  No source file in MOAB
> includes mpicxx.h.

Thanks for investigating, I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Jed