[AG-USERS] AG Talk Dec. 16: Wireless Sensor Networks: Past, Present and Future

Gurcharan S. Khanna gskpop at cis.rit.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:01:31 CST 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE COLLOQUIA SERIES
All,

This talk will be broadcast in the Rochester Institute of Technology
Venue under the ANL Venue Server. See https://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu:443/meetingdetails.asp?MID=25026
for details (some tbd).

FYI,

-gurcharan
----------------------

DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER

Dr. Wendi B. Heinzelman
Associate Professor
University of Rochester

Time and Location
---------------------------
Tuesday, December 16, 1pm Eastern, Room 70-2400 (Golisano College)

Talk Title
--------------
Wireless Sensor Networks: Past, Present and Future

Abstract
--------------
It is estimated that by the year 2010 more than 10 billion wireless sensors will be deployed for
applications as diverse as environmental monitoring, agricultural monitoring, machine health
monitoring, surveillance, and medical monitoring.  These networks, which connect the physical world
with the digital world, provide us with a richer understanding of our environment and with the
ability to more accurately control our surroundings.  However, there are many challenges that must
be addressed before the full potential of these networks are realized. Wireless sensor networks
must be reliable and scalable to support large numbers of unattended wireless sensors; they must
last for extended periods of time using limited battery power; they must be secure against outside
attacks on the network and on data fidelity; they must be accurate in providing required
information while performing in-network processing to reduce data load; and they must interface
with existing networks. In this talk, I will provide an overview of this exciting field of
research, describing the history of research in wireless sensor networks, the current
state-of-the-art and the directions in which the field of wireless sensor networking technology is
headed.  I will motivate the need for adaptive network management to best support dynamic
application goals, and I will discuss some current research on energy efficient protocols and
algorithms. To provide perspective, I will also describe many of the numerous open research
questions that will provide ample opportunities for innovation in the years to come.

Biography
-------------
Wendi B. Heinzelman received a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University in
1995 and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT in 1997 and
2000, respectively.  Her current research interests lie in the areas of wireless communications and
networking, mobile computing, and multimedia communication.  Dr. Heinzelman received the NSF CAREER
award in 2005 for her research on cross-layer architectures for wireless sensor networks, and she
received the ONR Young Investigator Award in 2005 for her work on balancing resource utilization in
wireless sensor networks.  She is an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Mobile
Computing, and she is an Area Editor for ACM Mobile Computing and Communications Review(MC2R).
--
-------------------------
Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.

Assistant Research Professor, Ph.D. Program
Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences
http://people.rit.edu/gskpop

Founding Director, Interactive Collaboration Environments Laboratory
Center for Advancing the Study of Cyberinfrastructure
http://icelab.rit.edu
---
Rochester Institute of Technology
IT Collaboratory Bldg. 17, Room 3119
Rochester, New York 14623-5603
Phone: 585-475-7504  ~  Cell: 585-451-8370
Email: gurcharan.khanna at rit.edu