[AG-USERS] Argonne AG2 / AG3 Server Transition

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 28 09:49:54 CDT 2006

This mail describes plans for the transition of server
support from AccessGrid2 to AccessGrid3, here at Argonne.
If you do not use the Argonne AccessGrid servers, you
need not read further.

For AG2, we have run two servers:  vv2, the server
used by the AccessGrid2 software by default; and ivs,
the institutional venue server, where many institutions
have their own venue.

For AG3, the community venues from the vv2 server have been
present on the vv3 server since the initial AG3 release.

As of Sunday (8/27), institutional venues from the AG2 ivs
server are also being hosted on the AG3 vv3 server.  The
institutional venues have been statically addressed across
the ivs and vv3 servers to enable audio/video exchange between
AG2 and AG3 users.  These addresses are all in the range
224.2.224.2-224.2.224.120; in each venue, the audio port is
20000 and the video port is 20002.  So for example, an AG2 user
in the Argonne National Laboratory venue on the ivs server will
be able to see video from an AG3 user in the Argonne National
Laboratory venue on the vv3 server; these users will not be able
to jointly use shared applications, exchange data, or chat with
their VenueClients.

The AG2 servers, vv2 and ivs, will stay up and continue to be
supported through the end of the year.  On return from the
end-of-year holidays in January, we will shut down the vv2 and ivs
servers.

If you have any questions about these plans, don't hesitate to
let us know.

Thanks,
Tom Uram

For the sake of completeness, here are the full URLs for our servers:

VV2 AG2 server
https://vv2.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default

IVS AG2 server
https://ivs.mcs.anl.gov:9000/Venues/default