[AG-USERS] new windows user: waiting fo video

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 23 21:59:53 CDT 2006

Here are some tips for you:

- You will not be able to use multicast on Comcast; you will have
to use unicast.
- For unicast to work, you have to allow UDP traffic from the bridge
machine through the firewall on the ports
used by the media tools, and then some.  For each of audio and
video, two ports are used.  You can see which ports are in use
by selecting Venue->Properties in the VenueClient.  Each of these
ports must be open, and the port after each of them must be open
(e.g., if video is on port 50000, both 50000 and 50001 must be open).
Note:  This goes for any firewall on your machine _and_ on your
network.
- If you are behind a router that does NAT, you may have to
set up port forwarding on your router.  Find this option in
your router config software and set it up so data coming in to the ports used
by the media tools is forwarded to your PC.

If you question whether data is reaching your machine while
running through these steps, I'd highly recommend use of
the packet capture tool 'ethereal'.

Tom