[AG-USERS] Hello, introductions

Jeff Shuckra jshuckra at hpcerc.unm.edu
Thu Feb 27 14:05:58 CST 2003

Hello,
Jeff Shuckra, UNM-HPCERC node op here...
The August 8, 1999 Chautauqua was my first exposure to HPC. I loved it
so much that UNM-AHPCC hired me on.

I was part of a team to be the first to deliver a college accredited
course over the AG. I am now involved in Tribal Virtual Network (TVN), a
DoC effort to bring bandwidth to rural areas. Five Native American sites
are receiving their own T1. Network is nearly all installed except for
the Qwest router contracts, but they are due by March 15. The idea
behind TVN is that by building a IT road- commerce, grants, and
education will come their way. Microsoft and inSORS have helped
tremendously with solving this low-bandwidth AG situation. I can assure
you, these AG users are not your average scientists. They are focused on
culture and language preservation. Their first AG class is about
lifeskills for the tribes. One group wants to record proper ways of
bison preparation. Quite a site...

jeff shuckra