[AG-USERS] What do you want the AG to be?

Allan Spale aspale at evl.uic.edu
Wed Aug 6 16:44:33 CDT 2003

Hello,

Just to expand on one of your comments...

> AG meetings are still quite a bit different than face to face meetings.
> I think the biggest thing is that it is a lot harder to collaborate over
> data/information using AG than face to face -- the tools just aren't
> there.  Sidebar/hallway discussions involving subsets of people are not
> not possible in the current AG environment, but are important and often
> significant in face to face meetings.  Time zones are an issue for
> extended meetings.  It used to be that going somewhere else insulated
> you from routine interruptions of work, though that's less true these
> days with the availability of wireless at remote sites, and cell phones.

If everyone could have their own private venue as well as a public venue,
then this idea of being able to have multiple groups of conversations
could be a reality.

There was a plan to do something somewhat similar on the ag-tech mailing
list at
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/ag-tech/2003/07/msg00136.html.
One example of your idea would be the following.  People would have their
laptops running the PIG software and have a webcam as well as a headset
with microphone.  You take this PIG into the room-sized AG node.  From
this standpoint, you are still able to participate in the main session
through the room AG node, but you also still have at least one other
session running on the laptop PIG.  So, while listening to the main
session on the main displays, you could still have a quiet collaboration
with your group of people on the PIG.  And if it is an AG 2 PIG, you could
share applications with your subset of sites too (whether it is
whiteboard, shared browsing, etc.).

Allan
EVL at UIC
node-op