[AG-TECH] Any word on Ubuntu and Python 2.7?

Gabriel Noronha Gabriel.Noronha at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Feb 22 00:06:21 CST 2012

----
Gabriel Noronha
Access Grid Support Officer
University of Newcastle
>>> Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au> 19/02/12 9:32 PM >>>

On 18/02/2012, at 4:08 AM, Kevin Cole wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just added another machine to our "posse" / "harem" / "commune",
>> and since it was a fresh install, I installed Oneiric (11.10).  And
>> then, when things behaved oddly, I saw this on the University of
>> Queensland's site:
>>
>> "Can't access ANL venue server. Actually, the connection is partial
>> - connected venues are visible but media and jabber text services
>> aren't started correctly. Interestingly, other venue servers, e.g.
>> APAG, can be connected to OK. The issue appears to be related to the
>> Python version being used in the client systems; up to python2.6
>> appears OK, while python2.7 (on Oneiric, Natty & Fedora 14) have the
>> connection problem."
>>
>> With a Long Term Support (LTS) release coming up in a couple of
>> months, I was planning to upgrade all of my machines to that,
>> including the AG3 computers that are currently doing fine.  Any
>> details on what makes Python 2.7 not tick?  (I've got some stuff
>> moving into the 3.x version. So, it seems 2.6 is getting a bit long
>> in the tooth.)
>

>I believe the problem is in the jabber code - on entering a venue, one
>of the VenueClient's tasks is to create and/or enter a jabber room
>with the same name as the venue. This fails with python 2.7 (for some
>reason) and prevents set up of the media tools, vic and rat.
>
>I've verified this on a python 2.7 system by disabling text chat
>completely in the VenueClient.py and VenueCLientUI.py, after which I'm
>able to fully enter previously troublesome venues.
>
>Although that appears to identify where the problem lies, the problem
>still needs to be fixed - I'm not sure who has time to look at that.

I had a quick look at the jabber code because i was hoping to reuse it awhile ago... and basically it use a library that has been abandoned. bajjer is the library and a google search seems to lead to nothing but 404s

it's probably something that really needs to be ear marked as needing a complete rewrite or swapping to a different protocol with better library support IRC for example.

saying that with the picture in your first email i assumed you would be nothing but RHEL boxes..