[AG-TECH] Any word on Ubuntu and Python 2.7?

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 19 04:26:50 CST 2012

On 18/02/2012, at 4:08 AM, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just added another machine to our "posse" / "harem" / "commune",
> and since it was a fresh install, I installed Oneiric (11.10).  And
> then, when things behaved oddly, I saw this on the University of
> Queensland's site:
>
> "Can't access ANL venue server. Actually, the connection is partial
> - connected venues are visible but media and jabber text services
> aren't started correctly. Interestingly, other venue servers, e.g.
> APAG, can be connected to OK. The issue appears to be related to the
> Python version being used in the client systems; up to python2.6
> appears OK, while python2.7 (on Oneiric, Natty & Fedora 14) have the
> connection problem."
>
> With a Long Term Support (LTS) release coming up in a couple of
> months, I was planning to upgrade all of my machines to that,
> including the AG3 computers that are currently doing fine.  Any
> details on what makes Python 2.7 not tick?  (I've got some stuff
> moving into the 3.x version. So, it seems 2.6 is getting a bit long
> in the tooth.)

I believe the problem is in the jabber code - on entering a venue, one
of the VenueClient's tasks is to create and/or enter a jabber room
with the same name as the venue. This fails with python 2.7 (for some
reason) and prevents set up of the media tools, vic and rat.

I've verified this on a python 2.7 system by disabling text chat
completely in the VenueClient.py and VenueCLientUI.py, after which I'm
able to fully enter previously troublesome venues.

Although that appears to identify where the problem lies, the problem
still needs to be fixed - I'm not sure who has time to look at that.

chris

Christoph Willing              +61 7 3365 8316
Research Computing Centre
University of Queensland