[AG-TECH] Rat Linux Memory Leak

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 25 23:09:50 CDT 2011

Hi Todd,

> > When you mentioned vic&  rat don't start for you with the VenueClient on
> > F14, do they come up if you go to the APAG lobby? i.e. :
> >    https://vv3.ap-accessgrid.org:8000/Venues/default
> >

> Interesting.  Yes, you are correct.  Vic & Rat do appear when accessing the
> APAG lobby.
>
> Any advice on a fix?

Not a fix, but a workaround. Have you tried rebuilding and installing python-twisted-core 8.2 from F12/F13 ?

> > As for testing an older source version of rat (<= svn release 4393) like Chris
> suggests, download rat-4.4.01-0.1.20080731svn.fc8.src.rpm from:
> >    http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/fedora/8/SRPMS/
> >
> > then rebuild with the following:
> >    rpmbuild --rebuild rat-4.4.01-0.1.20080731svn.fc8.src.rpm
> >
> > once built, install by first removing the currently installed version of rat,
> e.g.:
> >
> > rpm -e --nodeps rat
> > rpm -i rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/rat-4.4.01-0.1.20080731svn.fc14.x86_64.rpm
>

> I'm currently OK with the new version and just ensuring Pulse is completely
> removed.  How are these older versions different?

I tried to see if I could reproduce using valgrind, but wasn't able to reproduce the memory leak, perhaps I didn't wait long enough. Sorry I don't know what the differences are without looking into SVN and comparing the differences and I'm not that familiar with RAT's ALSA code.

Doug