[AG-TECH] Audio Equipment and Echo Cancellation Device

Paul Kuchar Paul.Kuchar at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 03:45:07 CDT 2011

Hi Satya,
It all depends on how big your room is for coverage, how many participants are present and of course what your budget is.

We have an office node where we regularly use a Phoenix DUET, USB combined loudspeaker and microphone. It is plug and play and does not need drivers. We also use a DUET when we do events or outreach. It is ideal for a small group of people without going to a full blown echo canceller.
http://www.phnxaudio.com/products/duet.html

Phoenix also make a larger device for larger rooms called the Quattro, again USB with 4 loudspeakers and mics. The Quattro can be daisy-chained to cover larger spaces.
http://www.phnxaudio.com/products/quattro2/table/2-quattro-2.html

Another plug and play device not requiring drivers is the ClearOne Chat 50, a neat little USB loudspeaker and microphone combination. It is smaller than the DUET, but also very good for personal use or very small groups. I noticed that they now have quite a range on the ClearOne website. You may find a larger one that suits your room.
http://www.clearone.com/products/index.php?cat=9

We also tried a Polycom Communicator C100, but it did not work too well. It came with a CD to install drivers, but the CD failed to load giving errors. Finding the drivers on the website was a pain and when they were loaded I found that we still got echo.

There is also a VTAS evaluation of other products at this URL.
http://www.ja.net/services/video/vtas/productevaluations/

Regards,
Paul Kuchar
AGSC, Collaborative Working Developments

Research Computing Services
Room 1.005, Devonshire House
University of Manchester, M13 9PL,
United Kingdom