[AG-TECH] I broke something on my video. Need help!

John I. Quebedeaux, Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:30:41 CST 2011

David,

One little bit missing to help: are you using unicast bridging to connect
your video/audio traffic? (if so, which bridge?) or are you using multicast?
If it's multicast, then something about your multicast networking 'broke'
between yourself and the other sites... If it's unicast - perhaps you
connected to a different bridge than what the other sites are using and
multicast between the bridges is 'broke'.

I.e. There is a distinct difference in how the video and audio traffic is
'met' by the clients VIC and RAT if you're unicast or multicast where with
unicast you must 'connect' to a bridge that can relay the traffic to/from
everyone else on a multicast group. Multicast is nice in that the
video/audio traffic doesn't rely on a single computer to relay that traffic,
it's done by the routers directly to the receivers looking to connect to the
source of that traffic. A combination of unicast and multicast can be used
but things can breakdown if different bridges being utilized by the clients
involved cannot see each other.

Understanding a bit about unicast vs multicast can help with troubleshooting
what's going on when you can't see certain sites, etc.

-John Q.
--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.