[AG-TECH] AG on Mac OSX 10.7

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Aug 25 20:48:56 CDT 2011

G'day All

I thought I would highlight the issues with running Access Grid on Mac OSX 10.7.

*         It is my understanding that one of the primary issues with Mac OSX 10.7, is that by default it uses python 2.7.  Unfortunately the AG software has many issues running on this version of python.  Interestingly, Mac OSX supports three different versions of python and therefore, it would be possible to "repackage" the AG software to "force" it to use python 2.5, but in its current packaged form, I would not recommend using it on this operating system.

*         The other issue is in regards to audio - as many people are aware, there are issues with the audio quality and I do not recommend that the Access Grid be used on any Mac operating system (unless you use Mac for display nodes only and another system for audio).

o   As a side note - there have been some improvements to Mac Audio for the Access Grid on a Mac, but the quality is still poor and additional improvements need to be made.

o   I am currently testing some code modifications (attempting to change buffer sizes, etc) to improve the audio quality and I do this in my own personal time and therefore, is a very slow process.

In regards to EVO - the developers are aware of the "Deskshare" issue and are currently trying to resolve it.  If anyone is interested, you are welcome to download the latest beta version of this application to try (please provide feedback to me so I can pass this back to the developers).

Try this version:

http://evo.caltech.edu/evoBeta/bin/deskshare2-macos32-1060.zip

Put this in the .KoalaNext/plugins/EVO_DeskShare/ dir and unzip it to get the updated EVO_DeskShare.app.

I hope this clarifies a few things.

Many regards,
Jason.