[AG-TECH] Vanishing Bridges

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 13 16:12:30 CDT 2010

On 14/10/2010, at 2:13 AM, Thomas Uram wrote:

> Last week I set up a test registry, registered a bridge with it, and
> successively queried bridges from the registry all day with no
> trouble. Granted, these were all local, but if the problem appears
> as reliably as I've heard, I would have expected to see a problem
> even in this case. We clearly need to narrow down the cause of the
> problem some more. What details do we have about the failure cases?

We have very few details, unfortunately. I recall, nearly a year ago,
I was able to replicate the problem and at that time I thought it may
have something to do with newer python versions (since 2.6 was
implicated in another problem I'd seen and the replicable cases were
on newer systems which included python2.6).

However when I was retesting a Debian lenny system (which uses
python2.5) just night before last, I also ran a test with the new
Ubuntu maverick (with python2.6). Both ran fine overnight i.e.
maverick seems OK despite using python2.6 (however note that other
tests in France were not successful with maverick, so ....). Anyway,
since maverick had run OK for me, I then started a test with Ubuntu
lucid (also python2.6), one of the systems with which I'd previously
been able to replicate the problem. This time it has run overnight
without any bridge disappearances - I just tried a bridge cache purge
from home and it showed up fine (still showing up as "LucidTest" in
the bridge list if the www.ap-accessgrid.org registry is enabled).

So we know very little about failure cases;
   - there are many in France
   - I was previously able to replicate but not now
   - I _think_ I recall that Todd Z reported that he had seen the
problem too

chris

> On Oct 13, 2010, at 2:27 AM, Philippe d'Anfray wrote:
>
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> I was not there yesterday and it's probably too late to "purge the
>> cache" (there's just a Lucid test by now)
>>
>> By the time we decided to switch to debian because we have a
>> seminar that will be transmitted
>> tomorrow and really need the bridge to work (in fact to be visible
>> to new users and there it is).
>>
>> If it works also with "maverick" it is a good news for other users
>> in France (but in the first test we made the
>> bridge disappears too...)
>>
>> Merci pour tout!!
>>

>> Philippe d'Anfray

>>> I'm now running a test bridge with Debian "lenny". It has been
>>> running nearly 5 hours without any problem so far. I'm also
>>> running another test bridge using the new Ubuntu "maverick", which
>>> and been running for over 4.5 hours - also no problem yet. I will
>>> let them both run overnight here (your day time) and you can check
>>> whether they're still running OK if you purge your bridge cache
>>> (assuming you have www.ap-accessgrid.org as one of your bridge
>>> registries) and look for the bridges named DebTest (Debian lenny
>>> 64bit) and MaverickTest (Ubuntu maverick 32bit).
>>>
>> <Philippe_d-Anfray.vcf>

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland