[AG-TECH] Question: Access Grid on non-university, non-multicast network

Thomas Bjelkeman-Pettersson thomas at bjelkeman.com
Sun Oct 3 14:50:55 CDT 2010

Hi friends,

I work with a open software foundation, Akvo.org. We build internet and mobile phone services for development aid. We are fairly spread out geographically and Access Grid seemed a good solution for us to be able to do multipart video conferencing.

Our participants all sit on non-university type networks, i.e. commercial ISPs.

Is it possible and even meaningful to set up Access Grid without reliable access to multicast capability?
Can the public unicast bridges take care of this for us?

I wanted to understand this before I go too far down this route, only to find out that it may not be possible to do.

Thanks for any insight on this!

Thomas
--
Thomas Bjelkeman-Pettersson