[AG-TECH] RAT Memory leak (ubuntu 10.10)

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 29 05:30:04 CST 2010

Yes it would be if there was some decent documentation on all of them
(mostly ALSA!).

But basically now ALSA is THE core sound system on top of which runs an
emulation of OSS, and these days Pulse then uses ALSA to talk directly to
the sound hardware and then it creates a fake ALSA device which apps then
use. It also presents its own Pulse APIs which can be used. The there's also
JACK....

RAT can talk to ALSA (Preferably without Pulse as it's not so good for
realtime but it can be a mild pain to disable) or OSS. Here's a blog post
(which I haven't tried)
http://ptspts.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-disable-pulseaudio-on-ubuntu.html

Unfortunately I have zero time to work on RAT these days  but  think the
memory leak is due to the fact I forgot to comment out some of the
pcm_status structure allocations and unused calls.

Piers.