[AG-TECH] HD devices within an Access Grid setup

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 17 18:54:47 CDT 2010

Hi Keith,

> We are currently trying to get this type of setup (Sony EVI-HD1 using
> HD-SDI to Blackmagic Decklink SDI card) operational and have not been
> able to quite hammer it out yet with Vic.  We have tried
> H264 and the HDMI Vic beta 1.1 along with about every other version of

> Vic we could get our hands on with no success as of yet.  Which
> version should we be using?

Try the vic in the zip file on:
http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/windows/

You'll most likely need to install the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
Package from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4
d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

It uses the native Blackmagic Decklink API rather than DirectShow (be
sure to select the device that has a 'DeckLink-' prefix in vic's device
list, the other one is using DirectShow).

With the multi-thread x264 encoder, you should be able to get full 30fps
H264 with 1080i video input with the multiple CPU cores you are using
(I've managed to on slightly slower Xeons). VIC's DeckLink grabber has
options to scale the video size down, so on slower CPUs you might need
to scale down to 960p, 720p or lower to get 30fps H264.

I don't have any AGTk Video Services which wrap the new vic yet, so if
you got a Blackmagic card, you'll need to run the new vic.exe from the
command-line, e.g. something like:
   vic.exe 234.5.6.7/16000

You be able to readily tell you are running the newer vic.exe as it is
using native Windows GUI components.

Cheers,
Doug