[AG-TECH] HD devices within an Access Grid setup

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 17 15:19:09 CDT 2010

On 18/06/2010, at 1:47 AM, Griebel, Keith wrote:

> Hello Cristoph and Everyone,
>
> We are currently trying to get this type of setup (Sony EVI-HD1
> using HD-SDI to Blackmagic Decklink SDI card) operational and have
> not been able to quite hammer it out yet with Vic.  We have tried
> H264 and the HDMI Vic beta 1.1 along with about every other version
> of Vic we could get our hands on with no success as of yet.  Which
> version should we be using?  Our dedicated capture computer consists
> of 2 Intel Xeon X5550 (2.66 8M/1333 quad core) processors and 4GB of
> RAM running Windows 7 64bit.  We are able to see the video
> successfully with the Blackmagic Media Express program, so it
> appears the camera, capture card, and driver are working properly as
> far as we can tell...  AG seems to successfully add the card but all
> we see is black video with around 18fps and small numbers coming
> through for bitrate at best.  The processor demand of the Decklink
> Vic process is around 5% while a standard H261 Vic stream is around
> 1%, so it seems there is some processing going on behind the scenes,
> but all we see is black.  Either that or Vic crashes in certain
> modes...
>
> We would be very appreciative if someone using Blackmagic Decklink
> SDI capture cards successfully could please share their
> configuration secrets with us!!

Keith,

You'll need a new version of vic and a new AG service for that to
work. The new vic that works with the blackmagic cards hasn't been
released yet although there are some test versions around. I don't
have a Windows version - maybe one of the vic developers could send
you a test version. Even then, there is still no AG service dedicated
to the blackmagic cards so, for now, you'd have to run vic manually.
Since the blackmagic enabled vic is so close to release, I'd guess
that the AG service to use it will be available pretty soon.

chris