[AG-TECH] AG and 3D projectors

Brian Corrie bcorrie at sfu.ca
Tue Apr 20 14:32:07 CDT 2010

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Tim Scheitlin <scheitln at ucar.edu> wrote:
>> With the active stereo, we didn't need the silver screen - so we just have a white screen now.
>
> One more question if you don't mind Tim, if its ceiling mounted, what
> is the optimal distance to "see" the 3D affect? The plans for this
> room are to be 9ft wide and 20 feet long.

Most application software that supports stereo will do a decent job for
your room. Most of them will use a "reasonable" viewing frustum
(basically the viewing pyramid with the apex at the viewer and the base
of the pyramid the screen) for the stereo effect that will work with
most physical environments. As long as your viewers are not too far off
axis they should perceive reasonable stereopsis. With that said, there
will be only one point where the stereo is "correct". The farther people
are away from that sweet spot the more "distortion" they will perceive

To do this correctly is actually relatively complex. You need to tell
the rendering software the viewing frustum of the room and ensure that
the models that you are viewing are of the right scale (that is, they
fit within the view frustum). IF you do this correctly when someone is
standing in the stereo "sweet spot" it is possible to make the physical
and display environment "align". This is how CAVE style display systems
work. The have different viewing frustums for the different walls, all
calculated in real time based on where the head is located... If you
have ever been in a well calibrated CAVE system, you will know what I
mean...

Most stereo software uses a default view frustum and in fact most
packages do not support the creation of complex view frustums. Some
advanced visualization packages do, and when you get the stereo right it
is very compelling. Without that capability you are stuck with what the
software does, possibly with the ability to change the eye separation or
other simple parameters. This is also why the stereo effect across
different software packages will result in different amounts of "depth".
They are using different view frustums and some are going to be better
for your physical space than others...

BTW, not sure if anyone watched the Master's golf tourney in 3D or not.
A perfect application for your new 3D display system 8-) It was pretty
impressive. HD stereo streamed live from Augusta golf course, at what
seemed to be about 720p resolution. I hear that they are going to be
filming some of the World Cup in 3D as well, but it doesn't sound like
they will be broadcasting or streaming it. Too bad, that would have been
very cool.

Two images from the Master's being viewed in the IRMACS theatre
attached. The second image, with what I think is the eight hole at
Augusta, with Jack Nichlaus about to tee-off, was particularly
impressive, as the depth from the tee to green was quite striking! And
yes, the images are blurry, as they are showing both the left and right
eye views. 8-)

Brian