[AG-TECH] AG and 3D projectors

Tim Scheitlin scheitln at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 20 13:56:08 CDT 2010

I'd like to echo Brian's comments about the noise.  Our projector is 6000 lumens and the projector noise sometimes interferes with clear communication.  We are in the process of looking at enclosures to mitigate the noise.

Brian - any recommendations or advice for choosing a good enclosure?   One concern we have is that we don't want to void the projector warranty by putting it inside a sound enclosure and then have it over heat.   The enclosures we have looked at provide for cooling, but we wondering how well they work.

Tim

On Apr 20, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Brian Corrie wrote:

> A number of the Canadian sites have stereoscopic projectors in them - mostly they use passive stereo systems, some use them as part of the AG environment, some consider them separate systems. Be careful if you are going passive stereo and are using only one of the projectors for the AG setup - this will result in lamp usage that is different across the systems and will slowly result in brightness and color differences between projectors as the lamp in the single projector gets used more.
>
> We have one room with a large active stereo display (two Barco Galaxy projectors, blended and overlapped). This system is five years old. It is a very expensive solution and I would not go this route again. Not sure what active stereo projectors cost these days, but I am sure it is a lot cheaper. These days I lean towards high resolution being of higher value than the 3D so I would try to avoid compromising on the resolution to get the stereoscopic display. If you want some feedback on our direct experience with Barco let me know.
>
> Finally, if you are going active stereo beware of projector noise! Stereo capable projectors, especially bright ones (5000+ lumens) are noisy. When we turned in our Barco Galaxies in our room, it sounded like a jet engine taking off. Our retrofitted acoustic enclosures are not pretty, but were necessary because our projectors were not in a projection booth.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>

> Tim Scheitlin wrote:
>> Jeremy,
>> We ended up going with a Christie Mirage HD6 stereoscopic projector.  We also added a "4-window processor" so that we can route 4 (5 if you count the background) separate signals to the projector.
>> We also looked at the Barcos, but settled on Christie based on cost, user experience, etc.
>> So far (7 months or so) we have been happy with the choice.
>> Tim
>>> Tim, which single projector did you decide on? Currently I'm looking
>>> at the Barco Galaxy NW-7 and NW-12.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jeremy Mann
>>> jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
>>>
>>> University of Texas Health Science Center
>>> Bioinformatics Core Facility
>>> http://www.bioinformatics.uthscsa.edu
>>> Phone: (210) 567-2672