[AG-TECH] New equipment recommendations

Mike.W.Daley at cs.cardiff.ac.uk Mike.W.Daley at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 17:00:55 CDT 2010

Hi Cindy
We currently use two machines for HD AG
Our display machine uses 3 nVidia GTX 9800 cards with 3-way SLi bridge.
Our capture machine has a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme card and a
Blackmagic Intensity Pro installed. They work fine together. I see no
reason why your mix of cards should not work together.
With 2 SONY HDR-SR12E cameras.
We are using the vic produced by New Zealand and it works well in AG
it will receive all streams HD as MPEG as well as H261 we see no
compatability problems.
We have worked along side Jimmy Miklavcic in Utah, perhaps Jimmy mat
also have some comments.
All the best
Mike
PS if you need a site to test against let me know.

Quoting Cindy Sievers <sievers at lanl.gov>:

> Hi all,
>
> We are in the process of upgrading our equipment and would like some
> input.  We currently have a room based AG node with 4 cameras, 4
> projectors, wired desktop mics, XAP800, all on one Dell dual processor
> running windows XP.  We are going to upgrade to a beefier machine, 3
> analog cameras, one high def camera, 3 HDTV digital video displays, 1
> flat panel digital display, possibly wireless mics, possibly same audio
> mixer.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1. Is a single machine the best option or should I consider a separate
> machine for display?
> 2. Since the displays have only HDMI input, what kind of cards are
> folks using?
> 3. Is there a cable length limit for HDMI cables I need to take into
> consideration?
> 4. We would also like to upgrade our speakers - any suggestions?
> 5. Wireless mics - what is working for folks? How about ceiling mics?
> Has anyone had good luck with any particular brands?
> 6. I have a sony EVI-HD1 HD camera and Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme
> card, and I'm currently using a Winov Videum for the analog
> cameras......can those two exist in the same machine?
> 7.  Should I upgrade the audio mixer?
> 8. What kind of issues do you see with HD displays and AG compatibility?
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome!
>
> Thanks!
> Cindy

> Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
> sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
> tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
> fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544

Michael Daley M.Phil MBCS GCFA