[AG-TECH] UBUNTU 9.10, VIC, webcam (driver pb ?)

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Nov 30 14:26:06 CST 2009

On 01/12/2009, at 12:07 AM, Philippe d'Anfray wrote:

> Bonjour
>
> I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on our "AG-machine" and since I cannot use our
> Logitech webcam(s) with VIC I just get  scrambled pictures (and going
> throuht
> the various menu settings does not help)
>
> ** VIC works perfectly well with other cameras (we have a Falcon
> quattro
> card).
>
> ** Logitech webcams  seems to work  fine with some other softwares
> (e.g. gstreamer-properties, xawtv, ekiga...)
>
> I have the same problem with my laptop on which I just installed
> Ubuntu
> 9.10. I can't find any error message
> in the logs, is this  a driver problem  under Ubuntu 9.10 ? Has
> someone
> noticed the same behaviour ??

Philipe,

Logitech cameras have not always been well supported under Linux -
some just don't work. Since your camera works with other applications
it appears that this particular LOgitech camera should work with vic.

However the image you sent looks like an untuned TV input which isn't
possible from a Logitech camera. Do you have any other video capture
cards installed at the same time? Its as if vic is running with some
other device which has a tuner, not the Logitech camera i.e. the
Logitech has been undetected by vic, which has instead detected some
other capture device (which has a tuner).

Have you checked the "If you already have a camera" section at:
     http://www.quickcamteam.net/documentation/faq/does-my-logitech-webcam-work-on-linux

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland