[AG-TECH] AG in a virtual machine

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue May 26 19:00:44 CDT 2009

On 27/05/2009, at 8:10 AM, Jon Johansson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a researcher who would like to have AG installed in
> a VMWare virtual machine for distribution.
> I've done a quick test with a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 (32-bit)
> and AG 3.2 beta on VMWare workstation 6.5.
>
> The venue client can connect to our venueserver but complains
> about bridges being disabled in preferences, but I don't see
> where to enable the bridges in any of the preference pages.
>
> Xawtv grabs the Logitech camera and shows video just fine, but
> vic chokes and dies with either v4l or v4l2 as a source.
>
> Before I get any further into this, are there any reasons why
> adding this extra layer of complexity will clearly not work?
> Or, would it be expected to work for some reason(s)?

Jon,

A while back we used Xen to run a "multi machine" AG node - with
display in dom0 and video capture (3x) in a guest. It worked fine and,
although a bit messy to initially set up, I think its actually a great
way to have the benefits of a multi machine node all in a single box.
We had that system running here for about a year so there's no reason,
in principle, why a VMWare shouldn't work too.

There's some info at:
   http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/software/xenag/
although its a bit old now (xen-2.0 and kernel 2.6.18)

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland