[AG-TECH] Spam sent to room text chat

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 16 07:16:23 CDT 2009

On 16/03/2009, at 6:31 PM, Andrew Rowley wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From what I have been able to work out, they probably use a bot
>> that searches the conference server for existing rooms.  So if you
>> have used a venue recently, it will probably have spam messages in
>> it.
>
> One solution to this would be to have the jabber server delete rooms
> as soon as every one has left.

The jabber rooms representing AG venues are dynamic so their contents
will be lost some time after the last participant leaves the venue.

>  The disadvantage of this is that there will be no room history i.e.
> you won't be able to see what someone wrote in your last meeting.

Yes, thats what happens now.

>  This could be resolved by having the server keep room logs in a web
> accessible location.  I am not sure what Jabber server ANL are using

I believe its jabberd14 (http://jabberd.org/download/) for the basic
jabber server. I'm not sure what chat room module they're using; we
use mu-conference (0.7) for this, together with jabberd14 (1.6.1.1),
to provide the APAG server's text service.

chris

> so I am not sure if this can be configured.
>
> Andrew :)

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland