[AG-TECH] rat, Pulse Audio, Ubuntu

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 29 21:57:42 CDT 2009

We've seen many instances of problems running rat with Ubuntu 9.04
(jaunty jackalope), apparently due to the combination of rat with the
Pulse Audio system and ALSA audio driver.

Changing the audio device which rat uses from ALSA to OSS seems to fix
the problem. However making this change from ALSA to OSS (via the rat
Preferences panel) has been quite difficult for some reason. We now
have a systematic method to make the change, documented at:
	http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/howto/rat.html

If you're not having audio problems, don't change anything. Otherwise,
the steps outlined at that page may help.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland