[AG-TECH] Multiple X Screens and VNC Problem (Linux)

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Fri Jan 30 19:09:04 CST 2009

G'day All

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a problem.

I have a Access Grid machine (details to follow) that has 2 x dual head
video cards.  I recently upgraded the machine to fedora 10 (No distro
flame wars please) in which I can no longer remote desktop (using vnc)
properly to be able to see and control all X Screens (4 in total).

In previous versions of Linux, I use to use "Desktop Sharing" in KDE,
but Krfb recently due to some software updates, has been found to be
problematic.

I am currently trying to use "Remote Desktop (Gnome)" in which appears
to work fine, but only allows me to control the primary display screen.
I have also tried x0vncserver with similar results.

I am using 2 nVidia Quadro FX1700 video cards, using nvidia-setting to
configure the 4 displays using xinerama.  Note: if I use Separate
Screens, I can only control the first screen, if I use Twinview, I am
able to control the first 2 screens, but not the other 2.

Also note that I need to be able to connect to this "desktop" via a
windows machine, using something like realvnc or ultravnc (I have tried
both).

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this problem as
google doesn't seem to be helping me this time round.  Though it does
appear to be less an "distro" problem, as I have seen people (on the
web) complaining about similar problems with other flavours of Linux.

Someone mentioned that there might be a -ignorexinerama option within
the server or vncviewer, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Details on the system are as follows:

		Dell Precision T3400
		2.4GHz quad-core Core 2 (Q6600)
		Dual 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX1700 video cards
		2GB of Memory
		320GB SATA HDD (3.0Gb/s, 7.2k RPM)
		Gigabit NIC
		16X max DVD+/-RW Drive
		Running Fedora 10 (x86_64 Version)

Your assistance in helping me to solve this problem would be extremely
appreciated.

Regards,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer
Information Technology Division
CQ University Australia

Australian Research Collaboration Service
http://www.arcs.org.au/

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
         jason.bell at arcs.org.au
Work   : +61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 0409 630897
Postal : Building 19
         Central Queensland University
         Bruce Highway
         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.