[AG-TECH] Having trouble with receiving video

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 11 14:20:05 CST 2009

On 12/02/2009, at 3:54 AM, Pelotte, Emile J. wrote:

> I am trying to test our Access Grid room and have been running into
> a problem of not being able to get video from the site I connect
> with to display on my screen. I tried to test the application with
> the University of Arkansas using a connection set up through the
> Access Grid Scheduler, which the individual I was working with was
> kind enough to establish. When I connected to the link, the Access
> Grid software started and the three images from my cameras displayed
> in the screen that opened, but I was not able to see video from the
> University of Arkansas site and we both did not show that each other
> had connected. To determine if I was able to get any video, I tried
> to connect to the Argonne and the NCSA lobbies to see if I could at
> least get video to display and I was unsuccessful. Some other
> information that may help is that I do not show any other sites
> connected to the nodes, but I do see files listed under data. The
> response I receive from the Access Grid software is that I have
> connected and does not display any errors which makes me believe I
> may simply just have something configured incorrectly within the
> software. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong.

Emile,

If you didn't see any other sites connected to the venue you were in
but you did see other data in there and there were no particular error
messages, then its quite likely that everything is working correctly.
If there were no other participants in a venue then you wouldn't
expect to see any video streams other than your own. You could try the
APAG Lobby where one or two sites are often just sitting there and
generating video that you should be able to see. The APAG Lobby is at:
     https://vv3.ap-accessgrid.org:8000/Venues/default

Another potential issue (which may be the cause of the no video
problem in your tests with U Arkansas) is that your network may not be
multicast enabled. You can bypass this by selecting a multicast-
unicast bridge from the Tools->Bridges menu.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland