[AG-TECH] Hardwire control of cameras

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 04:31:29 CST 2009

Hi John,

Mike Weaver has explained all this really well. I'll just add that you can get 3rd party VISCA camera control software to install alongside your AG client, for example: http://damien.douxchamps.net/libvisca/

We've got Sony cameras in one of our nodes that are all controlled via daisy-chained VISCA cables into COM1 of the node PC (using IOCOM's IG Meeting which has VISCA camera control built in). The control ID of each camera is determined by dip switches.

Don't forget most cameras come with IR remote controllers, which are really useful if you want to position cameras on yourself once you're sat down in the meeting room.

I've also attempted to get camera control working with a USB-RS232 convertor, but wasn't successful !

Regards, Ben.

Ben Green

Access Grid Support Centre
Research Computing Services
University of Manchester
Room 73A, Devonshire House, Precinct Centre,
Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
tel: +44 (0)161 306 6621
fax: +44 (0)161 275 6120
email - ben.green at manchester.ac.uk