[AG-TECH] Recording and streaming access grid session using Windows Media Encoder or VLC

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 03:54:21 CST 2009

Hi,

Just to say that I have also been looking at these issues in relation to Memetic - in the CREW project, we have created a system for generating FLV files from recorded AG streams and this then allows you to show them from within a flash player.  I am now applying for funding to formalise this into a web service and have it generate other formats too.  This could then be extended to work with live streams fairly easily.  If the project gets funded, I will be setting up a Google Code site for it so others will be able to contribute and extend or reuse the code.  I would be happy for this to happen - I will keep you informed about any developments (this would start in April if successful).

One thing to note is that it doesn't combine streams into a single FLV just now (although this could come out of the project).  In CREW, we just select two of the streams (the speaker and the presentation slides) and synchronize those as separate streams in the CREW player.  You can look at this at http://crew.rcs.manchester.ac.uk/ - note that this is a demo site, and we don't know what it is like under high loads so it might not respond if too many people are trying at the same time!

One thing to think about with the live streaming is the fact that you only need to encode the streams once.  This could then be sent out to as many people as there are listening - this scales better than encoding once per user.  With a good flash player implementation, you could also support pause and rewind, although it is worth noting that flash can only jump to key frames, and increasing the number of key frames increases the bandwidth required to watch it.  There would need to be a trade off calculation in there somewhere.

Andrew :-)

  Andrew G D Rowley
  Senior Development Officer

  Research Computing Services