[AG-TECH] New Mexico SuperComputer Challenge

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Wed Apr 15 16:23:36 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

On Monday, April 20, Los Alamos National Laboratory is hosting the
annual New Mexico SuperComputing Challenge. Groups of New Mexico high
school and middle school students will be at LANL that day to receive
awards for their participation in the year long program and to tour
the facilities.  http://www.challenge.nm.org/

We traditionally include a tour of the Access Grid.  We like to
include some remote sites so that the students can see what a true
collaboration looks like. Last year we invited some college
recruiters to participate via Access Grid.  This gave the colleges a
chance to recruit some top notch students, and it gave the students a
chance to talk with faculty about their institutions and about
college in general.  In previous years we have had students at
colleges and universities talk to the SuperComputer challenge
participants via Access Grid about their college experiences.  I'd
like to invite your institution to participate this year, all types
of discussions are welcome!  If you would like for your recruiters to
get involved, that is great!  Or if you have some students who might
like to participate in an informal discussion with the SCC
participants, that would be awesome!  Or if you can simply run your
AG node and talk briefly to the students about your AG facility and
what you are using it for, that would be a tremendous help! We are
looking for all types of interaction, so if you can participate in
any way, we would be greatly appreciative.

Currently, we have 3 sessions, each is about 45 minutes long.
Session 1 is from 10:00am - 10:45am MDT
Session 2 is from 11:00pm - 11:45pm MDT
Session 3 is from 2:00 - 2:45 MDT
If you could please RSVP and let me know if you would like to
participate and which session(s) you can attend.
We'll be using the LANL venue off of the Argonne Lobby/Government
Institutions Lobby.

Thanks!
Cindy

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544