[AG-TECH] AGServiceManager.py uses lo instead of eth0

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 19:11:17 CDT 2009

Hi guys

I have similar issues like this and what I find is that I need so
specify the "real" ip address as the first host entry.  This is the case
for the multicast beacon and a number of others things, so as something
I do with all my Linux machines is that I do the following (Please note
that these notes are taken directly out of my install guide which can be
found at http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1133):

Hosts File

As part of the configuration of the network, where you may have selected
to use Static Ip Address and entered the hostname manually, you will
mostly likely have to edit your /etc/hosts file.

Note, you only have to edit this file if you are using a static ip
address. If you are using DHCP (dynamically assigned IP address) you
don't have to worry about editing this file.

It has been found that if you don't make the following changes to the
hosts file, the multicast beacon and AGServiceManager will not work
correctly.

To edit the file /etc/hosts, type vi /etc/hosts. Make sure you are the
super-user while doing this.

If your hosts file looks similar to this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
Your IP Address machinename.domain.name machinename

Change it to read:

Your IP Address machinename.domain.name machinename
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Save and exit by hitting the "esc" key then entering :wq.

Example file might look like:

111.222.111.222 jastest.cqu.edu.au jastest
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason.